AsyMatrix® is SWEP's innovative asymmetric plate design technology for brazed plate heat exchangers. The asymmetric channel configuration smartly combines maximum heat transfer on the refrigerant side with minimum pressure drop on the secondary side. The increased energy efficiency and better use of the structural material compared with conventional heat exchangers delivers a more sustainable solution in suitable applications.
To achieve high cooling capacity, fluid flows in chillers are high. However, the high flow increases the pressure drop meaning more energy is needed for pumping. This reduces the system’s overall efficiency. AsyMatrix® allows the pressure drop on the secondary side to be reduced while maintaining good heat transfer.
- The performance of an AsyMatrix® brazed plate heat exchangers is no longer limited by the pressure drop, and fewer plates can be used.
- AsyMatrix® technology reduces the hold-up volume of the inner circuit by up to 30%.
- AsyMatrix® requires a smaller charge of R410A, which saves money on refrigerant and helps manufacturers comply with European environmental legislation.
- The narrow refrigerant channels increase heat transfer and efficiency.
- The pressure drop is lower (by some 30% compared with the DP400 in normal chiller cases). This means less load on the secondary fluid pump and an improved COP.
By increasing the evaporation temperature by 1K, the DP300 contributes to a 3% higher COP/EER for the chiller.
For a chiller with a load of 200 kW and 3000 operating hours/year, the annual savings will be about 5000 kWh, or around EUR 500.
The DP300 has a high heat load capacity of 12.5 kW/m2, which means it uses around 25% less material than a comparable conventional brazed plate heat exchanger.
AsyMatrix® offers a genuinely asymmetric solution, with two thermally different sides resulting in:
- Improved heat transfer on the tap water side
- Lower pressure drop on the central heating side
- Fewer plates needed
- More compact than conventional technology
- Smaller and lighter brazed plate heat exchanger means less pumping capacity is needed in central heating circuits
To the right you can see the efficiency of AsyMatrix® shown in simulations of pressure drops in three of our brazed plate heat exchangers dedicated to boiler applications: the E5AS (with AsyMatrix® technology) and the E5T and E6T.
Less material, less energy, better performance and higher efficiency
In an asymmetric brazed plate heat exchanger, the same mass flows through the heat exchanger as in a symmetric one. However the asymmetrical patterns on the plates enable optimized pressure and heat transfers to be achieved on both sides. This optimal utilisation of pressure drops means less energy is wasted.
AsyMatrix® features a multitude of many benefits, including:
- Higher capacity
- Higher performance
- Smaller pumps that use less energy
- Smaller footprint